Hull and that

An absolutely appalling piece of refereeing from Richard Silverwood gifted Hull a vital two points in their battle to avoid the middle-eight relegation play offs. 

With 40 seconds left on the clock, Chris Bridge lay prone on the floor with a head injury while Marc Sneyd attempted a long range drop goal. The kick was charged down (of course it was!) just metres from where Bridge was laid. The ball ricocheted back to Hull’s possession and the black-and-whites completed their set of six while Bridge was still down in back play.

As the clock ticked down, Hull finished their set with another missed drop goal attempt 10 metres out. However, Silverwood, having allowed a full set of six to continue with Bridge inured, decided that actually he should stop play after all and had blown to halt the game as Hull were playing the ball.

As a consequence, Marc Sneyd and his team mates had the time it took for Bridge to be helped off the field to set up another drop goal, bang in front of the sticks.

With just three seconds on the clock, the former Salford scrum half nudged over the winning kick to the delight of the army of 10,000 or so travelling Hull fans.

It’s proper internet knobhead-ary to whinge about the referee, we know, but we’re internet knobheads so we will. Fair play to Hull, though, they battled hard and played to their strengths, but as a sport, Rugby League cannot claim to lead the way when it comes to player welfare considerations and yet allow situations like that to happen.

It also allowed Hull to line up for the drop goal and no kicker worth their salt would miss under those circumstances. He might as well have allowed the three seconds to play out and blow for full time.

Anyway, we shouldn’t have been in the position to have lost by a point. Letting a 10 point lead slip in the last 10 minutes of the match is criminal, though Hull’s last try was a good effort in fairness, a break from deep from Marc Sneyd and a great bit of handling saw the ball eventually spread to Tom Lineham to score out wide. Sneyd missed the conversion attempt which left the scores level at 26-26 and set up the controversial finish.

The rest of the Hull tries were, disappointingly, rather soft ones to concede. Jordan Thompson ruined a lot of First Try Scorer bets when he dance through some half arsed defence after a penalty for the markers not being square at the play the ball had gifted his side the field position.

Joel Monaghan responded for Wire not long after in trademark fashion. A high kick from Patton to the corner was only ever going to have one result and the captain out jumped his opposite number to bag an obligatory try.

Things went from bad to worse immediately for the visitors, who gave away a penalty from the set after the restart and Wire capitalised on the territorial gift when Ben Currie crashed over.

Hull weren’t prepared to roll over, though, and, aided by a combination of poor discipline and soft defence, they went into the break with the lead.

A Micky Higham knock on gifted FC the ball in dangerous territory and a Danny Houghton short ball found Sa who crashed over for another infuriatingly soft try before Marc Sneyd danced through the Wire defence to take Hull into half-time with a 16-12 lead.

Wire romped into the aforementioned 10 point lead after the break.

Monaghan levelled the scores when collected Ratchford’s cracking kick to touch down.

Then, after Dec Patton ignored a two man overlap to his left and attempted to step inside himself, Ben Currie stepped up to the playmaking duties and found Gene Ormsby on the outside of his defender with a fine cut out pass.

Ormsby was in again soon after a nice backline spread saw Myler, Patton and Ratch combine to find Atkins who put his winger away. 

With 10 minutes left, though, we allowed another soft try, this time Minichello muscled his way over the try line before Lineham’s try and Sneyd’s three drop goal attempts snatched the victory for Lee Radford’s men.

It was probably a bit of karma after last week; we were a distant second best against Widnes for most of the second half but pipped them with a stroke of world class skill in the final seconds. This week, we were the dominant team for most of the game, but soft defence in parts and an atrocious piece of officiating at the end cost us the competition points.

Almost more disappointingly, ‘Always look out for Leon carrying glass’ only got one airing during the game.

Ah well, at least Micky Higham is staying and we’ve got a nice little trip over the penines to look forward to on Friday.

Having lost the last two Cup semi finals, a return to Wembley would be more than welcome and at this stage of the competition, there’s no better draw than a lower league club you haven’t played for years and ground most of us have never been to.

Que Sera Sera. We’re going to Dewsbury.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s